Does your business require a Liquor Licence and how do you apply for one?

Does your business require a Liquor Licence and how do you apply for one? Picture of a bar with cocktail shakers and ornate glasses lined up in a row. Rows of alcoholic drink bottles lined up in the background.

If you’re planning to open a business in Victoria that involves selling or supplying alcoholic beverages, you’ll need to obtain a liquor licence. Liquor licences are regulated by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR).

This essential licence is required for various types of businesses. Let’s have a look at the type of businesses that need a liquor licence and the steps to apply for one. 

It is important to note that many liquor licences also require a planning permit from your local Council prior to obtaining the liquor licence. It is highly recommended you reach out to your local Council or a Town Planning consultant for advice on whether the liquor licence you require also triggers the need for a planning permit. Contact us today.

What kind of businesses require a Liquor Licence in Melbourne & Victoria?

A liquor licence is necessary for a range of businesses, including but not limited to:

Restaurants and Cafes:

If you plan to serve alcohol alongside meals, a liquor licence is essential.

Bars and Pubs:

Establishments that primarily serve alcoholic beverages to patrons must be licenced.


Nightclubs offering alcohol for on-site consumption require licences.

Hotels and Motels:

Businesses providing accommodation and serving alcohol on their premises need liquor licences.

Bottle Shops and Liquor Stores:

Retail stores selling packaged alcoholic beverages for off-site consumption must be licenced.

Events and Catering Services:

Catering businesses serving alcohol at events need licences.

Wineries, Breweries, and Distilleries:

Producers and manufacturers of alcoholic beverages often require specific licences for tasting rooms and sales.

Sports Clubs and Associations:

Clubs serving alcohol to members and guests need liquor licences.

Community Clubs:

Social and community clubs offering alcohol services require licences.

Entertainment Venues:

Theaters, concert halls, and similar entertainment venues serving alcohol need licences.

How do you apply for a Liquor licence in Victoria?

Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to apply for a liquor licence in the state of Victoria:

1. Determine licence Type:

Identify the appropriate licence type for your business based on its nature, location, and alcohol service scope.

2. Gather Documentation:

Collect all necessary documents, including business details, financial information, floor plans, and Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) policies.

3. Complete RSA Training:

Ensure you and your staff complete the mandatory Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training.

4. Create an Account:

Register on the VCGLR’s online portal (VCGLR Interactive) to initiate your application.

5. Pay Application Fee:

Be prepared to pay the application fee, which varies depending on your licence type and circumstances.

6. Provide Supporting Documents:

Upload required documents as specified in the application form.

7. Public Notices:

For certain licences, you may need to post public notices at your premises and in local newspapers.

8. Assessment and Review:

The VCGLR will review your application, considering location suitability, RSA practices, and public objections if any.

9. Inspection and Interview:

VCGLR may conduct site inspections and interviews to ensure compliance.

10. Decision and Issuance:

If approved, the VCGLR will issue your liquor licence with specific conditions and trading hours.

11. Compliance and Renewal:

Maintain ongoing compliance with licensing regulations and conditions. Liquor licences usually require annual renewal.

A Planning Consultant can help you with your Liquor Licence application.

Sounds a bit complicated right? That is because obtaining a liquor licence is a complex process, and rightly so, there is great importance placed on the responsible serving of alcohol. 

To ensure a smooth application and compliance, consider seeking support from a qualified Planning Consultant like AS Planning. Their expertise can save you time, navigate regulations, and help you obtain your liquor licence more efficiently. Contact us today.